The first meeting of the League City Chapter of the Lions Club was called to order by president Phillip T. Wright at The League City Coffee Shop at 7:00pm on April 10, 1952. Twenty-two members were in attendance. Their desire was to provide charitable assistance and services to local residents. Our mission today remains the same: “To empower volunteers to serve our community, meet humanitarian needs, encourage peace and promote understanding through our Lions Club.”
Lions Club International History: In 1917, Melvin Jones, a 38-year-old Chicago business leader, told members of his local business club they should reach beyond business issues and address the betterment of their communities and the world. Jones’ group, the Business Circle of Chicago, agreed. After contacting similar groups around the United States, an organizational meeting was held on June 7, 1917, in Chicago, Illinois, USA. The new group took the name of one of the invited groups, the “Association of Lions Clubs,” and a national convention was held in Dallas, Texas, USA in October of that year. A constitution, by-laws, objects and a code of ethics were approved. Within three years, Lions became an international organization. Since then, we’ve earned high marks for both integrity and transparency. We’re a well-run organization with a steady vision, a clear mission, and a long – and proud – history.
All proceeds go to support a variety of local children's activities and charities, here are just a few: